Descendents of Thomas Stanley, 1st Earl of Derby
Descendents of Thomas Stanley, 1st Earl of Derby as they relate to lordship of the Isle of Man
This page was writen and is copyright 2007 by Will Johnson, Professional Genealogist. This page is locked, if you'd like to comment on it, you may email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This page was writen in response to a claim here that the Sovereign of the Isle of Man might be a businessman named David Drew Howe, living in Frederick County, Maryland. As this page demonstrates, he is not in fact the King of Man.
For an overview of the Sovereignty of the Isle of Man see this article on Wikipedia.
Thomas Stanley was born 1434/5 as the eldest son of Thomas Stanley, 1st Baron Stanley of Lathom by his wife Joan Goushill. Thomas the father died on 11 Feb 1458/9 whereupon his son succeeded him and was said to be "aged 24" in a document dated 20 Feb 1458/9.
Thomas Stanley married firstly to Eleanor Neville, daughter of Richard Neville, 1st Earl of Salisbury by his wife Alice de Montagu, heiress of Salisbury. Thomas Stanley although he is called by David Howe "the first Stanley King of the Isle of Man", he would actually appear to be the fourth Stanley who was, or should have been, so-styled. Thomas and Eleanor were married sometime after 10 May 1457 but by 1460.
They had two children:
- George, Lord Stanley, born about 1460, K.B., K.G. who died vita patris abt 4 Dec 1503 in London
- Edward Stanley, 1st Baron Monteagle born about 1462 who died Apr 1523 at Hornby
Eleanor Neville died sometime before 1483, as in that year, Thomas Stanley married secondly Margaret Beaufort, Countess of Richmond and Derby. They had no children, and Thomas Stanley died 29 Jul 1504 at Lathom House.
- George, Lord Stanley married Joan le Strange, 9th Baroness Strange of Knockyn sometime before 26 Feb 1481. George died vita patris abt 4 Dec 1503, so the lordship of the Isle of Man descended to his eldest son. George and Joan had four children:
- Thomas Stanley, 2nd Earl of Derby and Lord of the Isle of Man
- James Stanley, Knt of Cross Hall and Marshal of Ireland
- Elizabeth Stanley
- Jane Stanley who married Sir Robert Sheffield of Butterwicke
- Edward Stanley, 1st Baron Monteagle married Elizabeth Vaughan bef 25 Nov 1501. They had two children:
- Thomas Stanley, 2nd Lord Monteagle
- Elizabeth Stanley who married Sir Thomas Langton of Newton, Lancashire
- Thomas Stanley, 2nd Earl of Derby and Lord of the Isle of Man was born between 1478 and 1485. When his father George died abt 4 Dec 1503, Thomas became heir to his grandfather Thomas' claim to lordship of the Isle of Man. Thomas Stanley, 2nd Earl of Derby married Anne Hastings by 1508 whereupon she became Countess of Derby. Thomas and Anne had two children:
- Edward Stanley, 3rd Earl of Derby born on 10 May 1509
- Margaret Stanley who married Robert Radcliffe, 1st Earl of Sussex and 10th Lord FitzWalter
- Edward Stanley, 3rd Earl of Derby and Lord of the Isle of Man was born on 10 May 1509. He married firstly to Katherine Howard, daughter of Thomas Howard, 3rd Duke of Norfolk. They married in 1529, but Katherine died of the plague Mar 1530 without issue. Edward next married on 21 Feb 1529/30 to Dorothy Howard, daughter of Thomas Howard, Earl of Surrey and 2nd Duke of Norfolk (thus the half-aunt of his first wife). Edward Stanley died 24 Oct 1572 at Lathom House. Edward Stanley and his second wife Dorothy had seven children:
- Anne Stanley who married firstly Charles 8th Lord Stourton
- Henry Stanley, 4th Earl of Derby born Sep 1531
- Elizabeth Stanley who married Henry Parker, Lord Morley
- Sir Thomas Stanley of Winwick
- Jane Stanley who married Edward Sutton, 4th Lord Dudley
- Margaret Stanley who married Nicholas Poyntz of Iron Acton
- Mary Stanley who married Edward 3rd Lord Stafford
- Henry Stanley, 4th Earl of Derby and Lord of the Isle of Man was born Sep 1531. By an unnamed mistress he had an illegitimate daughter Dorothy Stanley who married Sir Cuthbert Halsall. Henry Stanley married Margaret Clifford, daughter of Henry Clifford, 2nd Earl of Cumberland. Henry and Margaret married on 7 Feb 1555 whereupon she became Countess of Derby. Henry Stanley died 25 Sep 1593 at Lathom House and his widow Margaret died 27 Sep 1596 at Cleveland Row, Middlesex. Henry and Margaret had two children:
- Ferdinand Stanley, 5th Earl of Derby was born about 1559
- William Stanley, 6th Earl of Derby was born 1562/3
- Ferdinand Stanley, 5th Earl of Derby and Lord of the Isle of Man was about 1559. He married Alice Spencer daughter of Sir John Spencer of Wormleighton whereupon she became Countess of Derby. Ferdinand Stanley died 16 Apr 1594 and his widow remarried Thomas Egerton, 1st Viscount Brackley. Ferdinand Stanley and his wife Alice had three daughters whereupon his titles passed to his next brother.
- William Stanley, 6th Earl of Derby and Lord of the Isle of Man was born 1562/3 in Canon Row, Westminster. He married Elizabeth de Vere, eldest daughter of Edward de Vere, 17th Earl of Oxford. They married on 26 Jun 1594. William Stanley and Elizabeth had three children:
- Anne Stanley married firstly to Henry Portman, 2nd Baronet of Orchard, Somerset
- James Stanley, 7th Earl of Derby was born 31 Jan 1607
- Sir Robert Stanley who married Elizabeth Gorges
In this generation was the famous Succession Dispute detailed on Wikipedia here. Where quite clearly it is stated that Ferdinando's daughters inherited the island, but his brother William bought their shares and interests. The original letters patent were declared void, and new letters patent were issued to William by Parliament.
- James Stanley, 7th Earl of Derby and Lord of the Isle of Man was born 31 Jan 1607 at Knowsley, Lancaster. He married Charlotte de la Tremouille, daughter of Claude de la Tremouille, 2nd Duke of Thouars, 1st Duke of la Tremouille. They married on 26 Jun 1626 at 's-Gravenhage, The Netherlands. James Stanley died 15 Oct 1651 at Bolton, Lancashire. James Stanley and Charlotte had six children:
- Charles Stanley, 8th Earl of Derby born 19 Jan 1628
- Henriette Mary Stanley born 17 Nov 1630
- Edward Stanley
- William Stanley
- Amelia Ann Sophia Stanley
- Catherine Stanley
- Charles Stanley, 8th Earl of Derby was born 19 Jan 1628. He married Helena Dorothea a Kerckhoven in 1650. Charles Stanley died 21 Dec 1672. He and Helena had two children:
- William Richard George Stanley, 9th Earl of Derby was born 18 Mar 1656
- James Stanley, 10th Earl of Derby was born 3 Jul 1664
- William Richard George Stanley, 9th Earl of Derby was born 18 Mar 1656. He married Elizabeth Butler, daughter of Thomas Butler, Earl of Ossory. They however had no surviving male children and so his titles passed to his next brother.
- James Stanley, 10th Earl of Derby was born 3 Jul 1664. He married Mary Morley, but died 1 Feb 1736 without surviving male children. His Earldom passed to his heir-male who was a very distant cousin Edward Stanley (1689-1776) descended from the First Generation 1.2 above: "James Stanley, Knt of Cross Hall and Marshal of Ireland". The fact that the heir-male was so distant proves that there were no nearer surviving male issue from any other lines. His lordship of the Isle of Man however passed through the *female* line, vesting in James Murray, 2nd Duke of Atholl who was the grandson of Amelia Ann Sophia Stanley (see Sixth Generation 1.5 above)
Earldom of Derby
Edward Stanley, 5th Baronet of Bickerstaffe was born 17 Sep 1689 at Knowsley, the son of Thomas Stanley the 4th Baronet. He was undoubtedly amazed when upon the death in 1736 of his quite distant cousin James Stanley, 10th Earl of Derby, all of James' titles devolved upon him as heir-male. Edward Stanley thus became the 11th Earl of Derby. Edward Stanley had married on 14 Sep 1714 Elizabeth Hesketh the only daughter of Robert Hesketh of Rufford. Edward and Elizabeth had son:
- James Stanley-Smith born 7 Jan 1717. On 17 Mar 1747 he married Lucy Smith and they had a son Edward Stanley born on 12 Sep 1752. James died vita patris 1 Jun 1771 at Bath and so his son became heir to Edward Stanley, 11th Earl of Derby
Lord of Man
When the last Earl of Derby in the direct line died, the Earldom went to his heir-male, but the Lordship of the Isle of Man, which was held to be able to descend in the female line as well, went to a closer relative, the grandson of Charles Stanley, 8th Earl's sister Amelia Ann Sophia Stanley. Amelia had married John Murray, 1st Marquess of Atholl and they had a son John Murray, 1st Duke of Atholl (born 24 Feb 1660). John Murray in turn had a son James Murray, 2nd Duke of Atholl who, thus, in 1736 became Lord of the Isle of Man.
Earldom of Derby
Edward Stanley, 12th Earl of Derby was born 12 Sep 1752. Since his father James had died vita patris, Edward became heir to his grandfather Edward the 11th Earl of Derby. When Edward the 11th Earl died in 1776, Edward the grandson became the 12th Earl. Edward the 12th Earl married Elizabeth Douglas-Hamilton on 23 Jun 1774 and they had a son:
- Edward Stanley, 13th Earl of Derby born 21 Apr 1775
Lord of Man
James Murray, 2nd Duke of Atholl had a daughter Charlotte Murray who was his sole heiress and thus became Sovereign of the Isle of Man when he died on 8 Jan 1764. Charlotte had married her cousin, who became the next Duke of Atholl. She, jointly with her husband, in 1765 sold her rights as Sovereign of the Isle of Man to the British Crown. From that time to now, the Sovereign of the Isle of Man has been the Sovereign of Great Britain.