Emma Rockefeller McAlpin
Emma Rockefeller McAlpin, (1868 - 1934)
Copyright 2007, Will Johnson, firstname.lastname@example.org, Professional Genealogist, All Rights Reserved
Born 8 Jun 1868 in Fairfield, Connecticut as Emma Rockefeller, to William G Rockefeller (1841-1922) and his wife Almira Geraldine Goodsell.
She married 12 Dec 1895 at Tarrytown, New York to Dr. David Hunter McAlpin, Jr (2 Jun 1862 - 20 Jan 1934). (Dates per his obit)
She is named, as "Mrs D Hunter McAlpin, one of the four surviving children, in the obit of her father William G Rockefeller who died 24 Jun 1922". Her husband David died Jan 1934, "at the home of his mother 720 Park Avenue [New York City]". He was the son of David Hunter McAlpin and his wife Adelaide Rose.
She is named in an article in the New York Times, 5 Aug 1937 in speaking about a trust left by William Rockefeller to his born and not yet born great-grandchildren states "...The daughter Emma Rockefeller McAlpin who died in 1934, four children: David H McAlpin Jr, Mrs Geraldine McAlpin Webster, William Rockefeller McAlpin and Mrs Elaine McAlpin Tate." The article then names the 28 great-grandchildren, including: "...Lorna Underwood, David H Jr, and Esther Mead children of David H McAlpin; Geraldine McA daughter of Geraldine McA Webster; Sylvia Angell, William R Jr children of William R McAlpin; Diane and Gabrielle children of Elaine McA Tate."
She died 11 Aug 1934 at the Harkness Pavilion of the Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center.
- David Hunter McAlpin, Jr 1898-; married in Belmont, MA on 11 Jun 1924 Nina Walton Underwood
- Lorna Underwood McAlpin 1926-; married 27 Nov 1954 Robert Hauslohner
- David H McAlpin, Jr 1928-
- Esther Mead McAlpin married 8 Dec 1957 Kenneth Hyde Brownell
- Geraldine R McAlpin 1901- married 14 Jul 1934 to Dr Jerome Pierce Webster
- Geraldine McAlpin Webster
- William Rockefeller McAlpin 1902- married in New Haven, CT 5 Dec 1926 to Marion Angell
- Sylvia Angell McAlpin
- William R McAlpin Jr
- Elaine McAlpin 1906- married 23 Jan 1931 to Henry Clinch Tate
- Diane L Tate married 5 Mar 1955 to Lt Jacques Blaise de Sibour Jr.
- Gabrielle Tate
- Elaine Tate married William Durward Pollock Grady
- New York Times, 12 Dec 1895, pg 10 "M'Alpin-Rockefeller Wedding", stating Emma Rockefeller daughter of Mr and Mrs William Rockefeller to Dr. David Hunter McAlpin, Jr, son of David H McAlpin, and a brother of Gen. Edward A McAlpin. Today at Rockwood Hall, near Tarrytown, NY.
- 1920 Census of Hanover, Morris County, New Jersey showing David H McAlpin 57, Emma R 45, Geraldine 19, William R 18, Elaine 14 plus servants.
- New York Times, 25-30 Jun 1922, Obit of William G Rockefeller, age 81, names his four surviving children including Emma above.
- New York Times, 13 Jun 1924, "McAlpin-Underwood" (marriage)
- New York Times, 5 Dec 1926, pg E10, "Marion Angell Wed to W. R. M'Alpin"
- New York Times, 28 Sep 1930, pg N6 "Elaine R M'Alpin to Wed H C Tate"
- New York Times, 23 Jan 1931, pg 27 "Elaine R M'Alpin Wed to H C Tate"
- New York Times, 21 Jan 1934, pg 29 "Dr D H M'Alpin Educator, Dies" stating that he is survived by his widow, two sons William R and David Hunter McAlpin, two daughters Miss Geraldine R McAlpin and Mrs H Clinch Tate.
- New York Times, 10 Jul 1934, pg 18 "Miss G R M'Alpin Engaged to Marry"
- New York Times, 15 Jul 1934, pg N4 "Geraldine M'Alpin Bride in Hospital:Wed at Mother's Bedside"
- New York Times, 12 Aug 1934, pg 24 "Mrs D H M'Alpin Dies in Hospital"
- New York Times, 5 Aug 1937, page 1 "Estate of William Rockefeller Increasing $1,000,000 a Year"