Levi Mullinix (b. abt 1816) Levi Mullinix was born about 1816 in Tennessee. He appears in the 1840 Census of Prairie Township, Franklin County, Arkansas and at the same place in 1850 with a wife Sarah aged 40. It's not yet known if she was the mother of the children there, but in 1840 Levi is marked in the 20-30 column while the oldest female persumably his wife is in the 30-40 column.
His children were:
- Levi Mullinix b abt 1833 Arkansas. Married 9 Sep 1852 Pope County to Nancy Jane Dodge, born 1835 in Indiana. (For the marriage see Arkansas Marriages, 1851-1900 : "Levi Mulinex") (In 1850 Nancy was living with her parents in Yell County, Arkansas. By 1860 she is either divorced or widowed and back with her parents, this time in 1860 Marion County, AR Census)
- Eli J Mullinix b 1835/6 Missouri. "E J Mullinex 20 to Caroline McGuirk 18, 15 Jun 15 1856" (Marriages of Franklin County, AR, McPhail)
- Nancy Mullinix b 1834/7 Arkansas. "Melvin Harper [no age] to Nancy Mullinex 23, 5 Mar 1857" (Marriages of Franklin County, AR, McPhail). Melvin Harper was born 1835 Missouri, son of Isaac Harper of Prince William County, VA and Abigail of New York (see 1850 Prairie, Franklin Co, Arkansas). He appears in 1860 Erath County, Texas, so perhaps she died or they divorced.
- Jonathan H Mullinix b abt 1840 Arkansas. Married Alice Catherine Unknown 1860/68 probably in Texas (See 1870 Collin County, Texas Census, where his brother Thomas also is living with him.
- Narcissa Mullinix b abt 1843 Prairie Township, Franklin County, Arkansas, fate unknown
- Martha Mullinix b abt 1844 Prairie Township, Franklin County, Arkansas, fate unknown
- Thomas Jefferson Mullinix b abt 1848 Prairie Township, Franklin County, Arkansas, married Susan Unknown 1870/80 (See 1880 McCulloch Co, TX Census), died in Santa Ana, California; A descendent of Thomas', tells me that "Thomas Jefferson Mullinix moved to Santa Ana, CA from Texas about 1900 and died rather dramatically there."; see also this Birth Record in Midland County, Texas;
- Annotated 1840 Census of Franklin County, Arkansas, (ed.) Will Johnson. Privately published, copyright 2005. Showing Levi Mullinix 11001-100001 in Prairie Township, Franklin County, Arkansas in 1840 with three children; his immediate neighbors being : "William Cotton, Thomas Moffett, Thomas Foley, Richard Oliver, E B Braley and E L Moffett"
- 1845 Tax List of Franklin County, Arkansas, compiled by Will Johnson. Privately published, copyright 2005. Showing : "Levi Mullinax, 2 horses value $60, 4 cattle value $35. Total value of taxable property $95. County Tax $0.11 7/8, State Tax $1.35 5/8 ; The index to this book is here.
- 1850 Census of Prairie Township, Franklin County, Arkansas showing : "Levi Mullinix 34 b TN; Sarah 40 b Unknown; Levi 17 b AR; Eli 15 b MO; Nancy 13 b AR; Jonathan 10 b AR; Narcissa 7 b AR; Martha 6 b AR; Thomas 2 b AR"
- Marriages of Franklin County, Arkansas 1850-1916, Copied by Virginia McPhail. [Privately published] [n.d.]
- Franklin County, Arkansas : First County and Probate Court Minutes Book (1838-40), with an every-name index, compiled by Will Johnson. Privately published, copyright 2005. No "Mull*" names at all, no McGuirk or variant
- Franklin County, Arkansas : Probate Court Minutes Book (1840-1850), with an every-name index, compiled by Will Johnson. Privately published, copyright 2005. No "Mull*" names at all, no McGuirk or variant
- Probate Papers of Franklin County Arkansas (1838-1920), Compiled by Virginia McPhail, privately published, Copyright 2001. No "Mull*" names in index. No McGuirk or variant.
- Marriages of Franklin County, Arkansas 1850-1916, Copied by Virginia McPhail. [Privately published] [n.d.]. Other then the two known Mullinix marriages above, there are no other Mull* marriages in Franklin County between 1850 and 1916, and only one other McGuirk marriage specified below. (The first book(s) of marriages, covering 1837-1849 is evidently no longer extant.)
- Arkansas Newspaper Abstracts 1819-1845, by James Logan Morgan, c1981. Reprinted by Arkansas Research of Conway, 1992. No "Mull*" names in body or supplementary indexes.
- Franklin County, Arkansas Cemeteries : North of the Arkansas River, Sue Clark and Virginia McPhail, Copyright 1995, privately published. No "Mull*" names, no McGuirk or variant.
- 1845 Tax List of Franklin County, Arkansas, compiled by Will Johnson. Privately published, copyright 2005. No McGuirk or variant listed.
- How did Levi Mullinix and Nancy Jane Dodge meet? Franklin County touches Yell County at the south-east corner. Pope County shares a long boundary with Yell, but not with Franklin county. The intervening county being Johnson. Did they "meet in the middle" to get married? Or had one or both families moved to Pope County by 1852 ? Marion County by contrast is up on the northern edge of Arkansas, not really close to any of these other counties. Levi's siblings Eli and Nancy both marry in Franklin County, and later then their brother Levi, so that would tend to make one think the Mullinix family was still living in Franklin County up to this point.
- What makes the most sense is possibly that Nancy's family had moved by 1852 from Yell County to Pope County, and then by 1860 had moved on again to Marion County.
- There is another marriage of a McGuirk in Franklin County : William B McGuirk to Elizabeth Napier, Jul 1, 1858. They appear in the 1860 Census in Prairie Township and then in 1880 they have moved to Sac, Dade County, Missouri. Could William be a brother to Caroline ?