Orval Eugene Faubus
Orval Eugene Faubus, (1910-1994) Governor of Arkansas 1955-67
Copyright 2006, Will Johnson, email@example.com, Professional Genealogist, All Rights Reserved
Orval was born in 7 Jan 1910 in "the community of Greasy Creek" (as one source states) or alternatively in Combs, Madison County, Arkansas, the eldest surviving child of John Samuel "Sam" Faubus and his wife Ada "Addie" Joslin.
About 1931, he married his first wife Alta.
He was a schoolteacher from 1928 to 1939, worked as a lumberjack and was Circuit Clerk and Recorder of Madison County, Arkansas, elected in 1939, when he enlisted during WWII in 1942 while living in Madison County, Arkansas. He was a commissioned officer in Europe (1942-46).
After the war he became Postmaster of Huntsville, Ark (1946-47, 1953-54), edited and published the weekly Madison County Recorder (1947-67), was a member of the Arkansas State Highway Commission (1949-51) and Director of Highways (1952-53).
He was elected to six consecutive terms as Governor of Arkansas, serving from 1955 through 1967. He was made famous for his 1957 stand against the integration of Little Rock schools in defiance of Supreme Court rulings.
He published accounts of his military experiences, In This Faraway Land (Conway, Ark., 1971), and of his ascent to political Power, Down From the Hills (Little Rock, Ark., 1981).
He and his wife Alta had only one child, named Ferrell, who was later to die in Seattle in 1976 from a drug overdose.
About 1969, he divorced his first wife Alta, to whom he had been married for 38 years.
He sought re-election in 1970, 1974 and 1986 but was unsuccessful in each attempt, the last time losing to Bill Clinton.
Orval died 14 Dec 1994 while a resident of Conway, Faulkner County, Arkansas.
- 1910 Census of Mill Creek, Madison County, Arkansas, showing parents Samuel J 22 and Addie 17, with Orval being 4/12.
- 1920 Census of Mill Creek, Madison County, Arkansas, showing parents John S age 32 and Ada age 27.
- WWII Enlistment Records showing Orval E Faubus b 1910 AR, resident of Madison County, Arkansa. Enlisted 18 May 1942 Camp Josepth T Robinson, Little Rock. Two years of college. Married.
- Phone and Address directories 1993-2002 showing Orval Faubus in Conway, Arkansas listing from 1993 to 1997 (probably retained by his widow).
- SSDI showing "Orval E Faubus b 7 Jan 1910 d 14 Dec 1994, last resided at Conway, Faulkner County, Arkansas. SSN issued in Washington"
- "Orval Faubus" on Wikipedia
- "Orval Eugene Faubus", by James R. Thornberry, on Ancestry World Tree