<-- Back to Uriah White
From the website http://www.rootsweb.com/~mostodd2/history/gbios/biow.htm
Goodspeed's History of Southeast Missouri
Biographies of Stoddard County, 1888
"James H White"
James H. White, farmer, is a native of Lincoln County, Tenn., born May 21, 1831, and is a son of Uriah and Hannah (Gallian) White, both of whom were natives of Tennessee, and of Irish descent. Their ancestors emigrated from Ireland several generations back and all settled in Tennessee. The grandfather was a resident of Tennessee when he died. Uriah White was a mechanic by trade and also followed the carpenter's trade from his boyhood up to the time of his death. He owned a farm in Tennessee which he carried on in connection with his trade. January 28, 1848, he left Tennessee to go to Arkansas, but upon arriving in Stoddard County, Mo., concluded to stay there, and stopped right on the place where he now lives, in a little log house that was on the place. In this they lived until they could build another one. Wild animals of almost every kind abounded in the wood, and deer could be killed from the cabin door. Thus, they commenced their life in the woods. It required many years to get his farm under a state of cultivation, but is now one of the finest in the county. The father died in 1864, and the mother in 1878. Of the eleven children born to this union seven are now living: Peter, James H., Milton, Henry, Jane, Louisa and Elizabeth. James H. Was but sixteen years of age when he came to Stoddard County. He remained with his parents until his marriage, receiving such educational advantages as were to be hand at that day. In 1850 he married Miss E. Back, a native of Tennessee. To this union were born nine children, seven now living: William, Thomas, Peter, Robert, Jacob, Martha I. (wife of William McAmalla) and Missouri E. (wife of Wilson Anderson). After marriage Mr. White settled on the farm now owned by William Elmore, where he lived until 1866, when he bought the homestead and has resided there since. He owns 120 acres of land with about seventy five acres under cultivation. He and Mrs. White are members of the Baptist Church, and are well respected.