George Hamilton Brittain (1839-1879)
George Hamilton Brittain
Copyright 2007 by Will Johnson, email@example.com, Professional Genealogist. This page has been locked. If you'd like to comment about it, email me. This page has been paid for by a descendent of George Hamilton Brittain.
He was born 24 May 1839 in Mississippi (probably Rankin County) to William B "Bill" Brittain (AFN:1H3C-C26) and his first wife Jane Hamilton Cooper. Jane died while George was a baby on 15 Jul 1840 in Jackson, Mississippi, and Bill married her sister Lucinda A Cooper (AFN:1H3C-C10) on 15 Feb 1848 in Harrison County, Texas. In the 1850 and 1860 census the family is living in Harrison County, Texas.
In Sep 1861, he enlisted as a private in Capt U.V. Hill's Regiment/Gregg's Regiment, Texas Volunteers, for 3 years; this unit was re-organized as Company H, 7th Regiment Texas Infantry, CSA. He served until Lee's surrender in 1865.
Sometime between 1870 and 1872 he married Eliza Texana Reagor, born Jan 11, 1852 in Dallas County, Texas, the daughter of James Jacob Reagor born in Tennessee by his wife Hannah Juliana Frost born in Alabama.
George and Eliza had three children (in 1900 she says "mother of 3, 3 living"):
- Jacob Fernando Brittain, born Sep 1872 probably in Ellis County, Texas. In 1900 he is at Steins Pass, Grant County, New Mexico as "J F Brittain". In 1910 as "John F Brittain" he is living in Terrell County with his mother. He might be the person of that name who died at Sheffield, Pecos County, Texas on 12 Jan 1912.
- Carrie Gettie Brittain, born 15 Mar 1874, Ennis, Ellis County, Texas married a Mr Williams
- William Hamilton Brittain, born 3 Oct 1877, Llano County, Texas (or Eagle Pass, Maverick County, Texas), died 1950. In 1900, he is with his brother Jacob at Steins Pass, Grant County, New Mexico.
George died on 29 Apr 1879 in Ellis County, Texas. Eliza never remarried. She is living in 1900 in Justice Precinct 4, Llano County, Texas as "Eliza T Brittain", with two of her three living children, next door to her brother George Reagor. In 1903 when her son William got married, Eliza was living in Langtry, Val Verde County, Texas. In 1910 she is living in Terrell County as "Mrs Anna T Brittain", with her son "John" (should be Jacob) a Cattle rancher; and next-door to her son "W H" and his wife and children. She died in 1931 age 79 at Eagle Pass, Maverick County, Texas.
- 1850 Census of Harrison County, Texas showing "W B Brittain, 45, Carp[enter], NC; L Brittain 32, female, MS; G W Brittain 11 b MS; J M Brittain 1 b Texas; E A Cooper 28 female, b MS; E Boon 27 male Cook? b TN; A Lewis 22, Lawyer, b GA
- 1860 Census of Harrison County, Texas showing "W Brittain, 45, Carpenter, NC; L 40 female, MS; G 16, male, TX; J 10 female, TX; R M 9 male TX; E 6 female TX; M 4 female TX" [Note that living next door, the Jail Keeper, and the Constable, also have connections to Mississippi.]
- 1880 Census of Llano County, Texas showing "...Eliza Britton, 28, daughter; Jacob F Britton 7, grandson; Jetty C Britton, 6, granddaughter; William H Britton, 2, grandson" living with (previous page) "Jacob Reagor, 64, Farmer, b TN; Juliana 60, wife, b AL" and a number of children.
- World War I Draft Registration Card for William H Brittain of "Donbohis, Cochise, Ariz; 40 years old, born Oct 3, 1877; White; Ranchman, self-employed, nearest relative: wife Lavonia Brittain. Signed W H Brittain. Medium Height, medium build, blue eyes, brown hair, no disabilities. Registered 12 Sep 1918 Cochise County, Arizona."
- Texas Death Index showing "Eliza Texana Brittain, 5 Dec 1931, Maverick County"