Joseph Robinette "Joe" Biden, Jr., (b. 1942) US Democratic candidate in the 2008 Presidential election.
Joseph Robinette Biden Jr
Joe Biden was born Nov 20, 1942 in Scranton, Lackawanna County, Pennsylvania, the son of Joseph Robinette Biden, Sr. and his wife Catherine Eugenia "Jean" Finnegan. His mother's family had emigrated from County Mayo during the Irish Famine. He was raised in New Castle County, Delaware. He graduated from the University of Delaware and Syracuse University College of Law. He was first elected to the Senate in 1972 when he was 29. His wife's name is Jill. Currently a US Senator from Delaware, he has been in government for 33 years.
He is currently running on the Democratic ticket for the US Presidential Election of 2008. His Democratic challengers are: Hillary Clinton, Christopher Dodd, John Edwards, Dennis Kucinich, Barack Obama, and Bill Richardson
Secondary sources for 1
- Irish People and Ireland, "Joe Biden"
- Ancestry research of William Addams Reitwiesner on Joe Biden
- Joe Biden on Wikipedia
Joseph Robinette Biden
He married Catherine Eugenia "Jean" Finnegan in 1941. They had at least one child Joe Biden Jr in 1942, while living in Scanton, Pennsylvania. In 1946 the family lived in or near Littlestown as "Mrs Joseph R. Biden" is in the Woman's Community club of Littlestown that year.
Primary sources for 1
- 1920 Census of Baltimore, Maryland showing "Joseph H Biden, 27, b MD; Mary E 25, b MD; Joseph R 4 6/12, b MD; Mary A 2 11/12; Frank H 1 4/12"
- The Gettysburg Times (Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, Oct 3, 1946, page 2, "Halloween Party by Woman's Club".
- Social Security Death Index showing "Joseph R Biden Sr, born 13 Nov 1915, SSN issued by Maryland, died 2 Sep 2002, last residence Wilmington, New Castle County, Delaware"
Secondary sources for 2
Catherine Eugenia Finnegan
Primary sources for 3
- The Gettysburg Times (Gettysburg, Pennsylvania), May 17, 1952, page 8, "Littlestown: Dr Waslifsky to be Woman's Club Speaker" : "...Mrs Joseph R Riden... [and others]... will present a slate of officers."