Miranda Jenkins (1865-1954)
Copyright 2006, Will Johnson, firstname.lastname@example.org, Professional Genealogist, All Rights Reserved
This page has been paid for by George's relative Althea Bolden.
Miranda Jenkins was born Dec 1865 in Louisiana per the 1900 census. (She is 51 per the 1920 census, and 56 per the 1930 census). Her maiden name of "Jenkins" comes from the death certificate of her son Hiluid Wimbly.
She married George E Washington 4 Apr 1899 in Arkansas County as "Mirandy Wimberly". Maranda evidently had several children from a prior marriage, named Wimbly or Wimberly. On the 1900 census, they say married 1 year, but on the 1910 census, he says this is his first marriage, while she says it's her second and both say they married 18 years ago. On the 1930, he says married first at 17, while she says 15, so evidently he *also* had a prior marriage.
Per her tombstone (see below), she died in 1954, probably in Stuttgart, Arkansas County, Arkansas.I placed a lookup request here on Ancestry's Arkansas County Board and got this response:
According to the book, "Cemetery Records of Arkansas County, Arkansas",Page 290, there is a Washington, G. E., born 1863, died 1949. He is listed as buried in the Green Groves and Love's Rest Cemeteries which are located just north of Stuttgart. Both of these cemeteries are transcribed together as one so they must be connected. On the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS)government web site they are listed as two different cemeteries but very close to each other by latitude and longitude.A follow-up request located his wife Miranda:
There is only one Washington listed besides G. E. in the same cemetery; Washington, M., born 1865, died 1954, page 290. The book doesn't list the buried by rows or in alphabetical order for these two cemeteries. So the persons listed above him and below him may or may not be next to him. But here they are; above him is, Geanes, Lester, born 12/1/1941, died 9/19/1961. The person listed on line below his name is, Amos, Minnie, born 11/25/1900, died 5/12/1969. Hope this helps you.
>==Children== Miranda was married before to a Mr Wimbly or Wimberley. Most if not all of her children from this marriage later took the surname Washington.
- Hiluid Wimley. Althea has found a death certificate which says: "Age 44, colored, single, male. Date of birth April 15, 1886 at Dumas, AR. Mother Maranda Jenkins born in Shreveport, LA. Father Lawson Wimley, born in GA. Date of death March 20, 1929. The cause of death is a gunshot wound of the abdomen. He died at Desha County, Township of Randolph. It doesn't say where he was buried, just that the undertaker was General Morgan. A line beneath the undertaker's name contains the reference, "Owens and Brown....Gould, AR"
The death certificate of Maranda's sister Fanny Morgan (bJune 1865-dMarch1941 Dumas) shows the mother to be Eliza Taylor, born in VA. The 1900 Census shows Fanny as married to Henry Williamson in Dumas, with her children. The 1920-30 census shows her as Fanny Morgan, with husband General Morgan, tho the death cert lists her husband as Jim Morgan.
- Lawson Wimberly. One WW1 Draft Registration Card here shows living at Thornton, [Calhoun County], AR; born 29 Aug 1887 at Felsenthal, [Union County], AR; laborer at a Saw Mill; wife and three children. This one is apparently the same one here in Calhoun County in 1900 with his parents, and so apparently not the son of Miranda. This one is also here in the 1920 census, showing a wife Florence and three children, in Moro, Calhoun County. However, there is another Lawson Wimberly in 1910 in Chester, Arkansas County here, age 22, with his wife Anna. Then we have the WW1 Draft Registration Card for Lawson Wembley of Pendleton, AR born Apr 1892 at Dumas, Negro, married with one child. Lawson Washington is here in 1920 Desha County, age 31, b LA, with a wife Ida. And here we have Lawson Washington in 1910 Desha County, age 21 b LA with wife Mattie, married in 1909. And finally a WWI Draft Registration Card for Lawson Washington here, born 12 Sep 1888 born Bonita, [Morehouse Parish], LA, Single, employed by George Washington near Halley, [Arkansas County], AR.
- Ethel E Wimberly (later Washington) b 11 Nov 1893 Arkansas. The 1900 census states that she was born Nov 1893. Althea states that she married a James Coleman and died in Detroit in 1983. The marriage had to take place sometime after the 1910 census when Ethel is enumerated still living with her parents. There is an Ethel Coleman 11 Nov 1893 - Mar 1979 who is listed in the SSDI as having last resided in Detroit. The online Michigan Death Index says she died 5 Mar 1979 here
- George Elmer Wimberly (later Washington) b 25 Aug 1895 World War I Draft Registration Card stating that he is a Section Hand for Cotton Belt RR of Stuttgart; that he lives at 615 N Porter and was born at Arkansas Post and is single
- Geoffrey Emery Wimberly (later Washington) b 25 Aug 1895 World War I Draft Registration Card stating that he is a Laborer 25 for St L & S W RR of Stuttgart; that he was born at Stuttgart
- Clarence Wimberly (later Washington) b 31 Jul 1898 World War I Draft Registration Card stating that he is a Porter for C J Lovell of Stuttgart; that he lives at 706 N Buerkle and that his nearest relative is "Miranda Washington" at the same address
- Paulina "Polly" b Dec 1899 Arkansas
- Marie b 1902/3 Stuttgart, Arkansas County, Arkansas
- Ona or Onie b 1901/4 Stuttgart, Arkansas County, Arkansas
- Earl b 1905/6 Stuttgart, Arkansas County, Arkansas
- Fuscha or Fusia b 29 Oct 1908 Stuttgart, Arkansas County, Arkansas SSDI showing Fuchsia W Pollard 29 Oct 1908 - 13 Apr 2006, last residence Stuttgart. SSN issued by Arkansas. She had lived in Stuttgart from at least 1993 apparently as a widow or divorcee, as she appears alone in the directories from 1993 to 2002. According to Althea, Fuchsia and R G were married for only about five years and lived across the street from her parents at 706 or 708 Buerkle. When R G became ill, Fuchsia took him back into her home at 704 North Lowe St where she cared for him until his death.
- Marriage to George
- 1900 Census Stuttgart, Arkansas
- 1910 Census Stuttgart, Arkansas
- 1920 Census Stuttgart, Arkansas
- 1930 Census Stuttgart, Arkansas