Phyllis L Gates was born 7 Dec 1925 in Montevideo, Chippewa County, Minnesota. Her parents were possibly that Leo Gates (d. Jul 1970) and Mabel who appear in Lisbon, Yellow Medicine County, Minnesota in 1930 with a daughter Phillis. One-time secretary to Rock Hudson's agent Henry Willson, she married Rock on 9 Nov 1955 at the Trinity Lutheran Church in Santa Barbara, her friend Pat Devlin was her maid-of-honor. The marriage lasted a little less then three years, they divorced on 13 Aug 1958 in the Santa Monica Superior Court. It was Rock Hudson's only marriage. Both prior and after this he had gay lovers. And apparently so did she.
She died 4 Jan 2006 at the age of 80. Her obituary appears in the Los Angeles Times. Her funeral service was held January 10 in Montevideo, Minnesota.
- Interview with Phyllis Gates, 20 Mar 2004 on Larry King Live
- Social Security Death Index showing : "Phyllis L Gates, born 7 Dec 1925, SSN issued by Minnesota, died 4 Jan 2006 last residence Marina Del Ray, Los Angeles County, California"
- Michael Musto in the Village Voice
- Rock Hudson, His Story at Amazon
- "Outing Mrs Rock Hudson...", The Advocate, Robert Hefler, 28 Feb 2006
- PGW Catalog, The Man who Invented Rock Hudson, an excerpt.
- My Husband, Rock Hudson, memoir by Phyllis Gates. 1987.
- The Man who Invented Rock Hudson..., Robert Hoffler. 2005. 325 pages. ISBN 0-7867-1607-X