Shirley Temple, top-selling U.S. actress in the 1930s.
Shirley Jane Temple
Shirley Jane Temple was born 23 April 1928 to George Francis Temple (1888 - 1980) and his wife Gertrude Amelia Krieger (1893 - 1977). She had two brothers, Jack (b. 1915), and George Jr. (b. 1919). Her father was a businessman and a banker in Santa Monica, California.
George Francis Temple
George Francis Temple was born about 21 May 1888 in Fairview, Pennsylvania. He married about 1914, probably in California, to Gertrude Krieger, a native of Illinois. By 1917/8 he was living in Pasadena, California where he was a bookkeeper for Southern California Edison. By 1930 he was a Bank Manager.
He and his wife had two children including the future-actress Shirley Temple.
George died Sep 1980, having been lately a resident of Redwood City, San Mateo County, California.
Primary documents for 2
- World War I Draft Registration Cards showing : "George Francis Temple, age 28, of 1115 Fair Oaks, So. Pasadena, Calif; born at Fair View, Penn [no birthdate is stated]; Clerk and Book keeper for Southern California Edison Co of Los Angeles; Wife and child; Medium height, medium build, Brown eyes, dark brown hair, no disabilities;registered June 5 So. Pasadena"
- 1920 Census of Venice, Los Angeles County, California showing : "George Francis Temple, 30, b PA/PA/PA; Gertrude 25 b IL/IL/MI; John S 4 11/12; George Francis Temple 11/12"
- Social Security Death Index showing : "George Temple, born 21 May 1888, died Sep 1980, SSN issued by California, last residence and last benefit both Redwood City, San Mateo County, California
- Note: There is no entry that matches his in the California Death Index, so it would appear that he died outside of California, perhaps he was on a trip.
Gertrude Amelia Krieger
Primary documents for 3
- Illinois Statewide Marriage Index at http://www.ilsos.gov showing : "Otto Krieger to Maude McGrath 15 Jun 1892 Cook County, Illinois"
- "Marriages", notice of marriage license, Chicago Daily Tribune, Jun 15, 1892
- 1900 Census of Chicago Ward 28, Cook County, Illinois showing : "Otto J Krieger 36, b IL; Maud 24 b MI; Gertrude 6 b IL; Ralph 4 b IL; Andrean Knutzen 15 servant b IL"
- 1910 Census of Los Angeles AD 70, Los Angeles County, California showing : "Maude Krieger 35 b MI/Canada/Canada; Gertrude 16 b IL/IL/MI; Ralph 13 b IL/IL/MI"
- World War I Draft Registration Cards showing : "Ralph Krieger, of Los Angeles; born 5 Dec 1896 Chicago, Illinois. Father born Chicago, IL. California State Prison, San Quentin. Nearest Relative: Maude Krieger of Los Angeles. Brown eyes, black hair. Registered in Jun 5, 1918 California"
- 1920 Census of Los Angeles County Jail, Los Angeles AD 62, Los Angeles County, California showing : "Ralph Krieger, Prisoner, 23, Single, b IL/IL/IL, Cashier in Office"
- California Death Index, 1940-97 showing : "Gertrude A Temple, born 15 Jul 1893 Illinois; died 1 Jan 1977 Santa Clara County"
- Social Security Death Index showing : "Gertrude Temple, born 15 Jul 1893, died Jan 1977, SSN issued by California; last residence Redwood City, San Mateo County, California."
- "Shirley Temple's Mother Dies", Los Angeles Times (Los Angeles, California), 3 Jan 1977 : [snippets] "[byline] Palo Alto...died at a local hospital...her husband George was with her when she died...[she was] native of Chicago...64th wedding anniversary...husband and daughter both of Woodside...sons John S Temple of San Pedro and George F Temple Jr of Laguna Hills; five grandchildren and three great-grandchildren....Mrs Black...now chief of protocol at the State Department...."
Secondary sources for 3
- Family Data Collection showing : "Ralph Krieger, born 1895, Chicago, Cook County, Illinois; Parents: Otto Julius Krieger and Maude Elizabeth McGrath"
Otto Julius Krieger
Primary documents for 6
- California Death Index 1905-1929 on microfiche, hosted at Vitalsearch-Ca showing : "Otto J Krieger, age 44, died June 16, 1908 in County 70 [Los Angeles]"